Back were the years, when Blogging was not everybody’s cup of tea because of technical hassles. But at this time, its quite easy and simple process to start a WordPress blog and make good amount of money from it. You don’t need to be a technical geek to set up a blog. I have helped many people just like you achieve their blogging dreams. All you need to do is Follow this exact step by step guide on How to Start a Blog under 15 Minutes.
I created this site to give newbies a fast, foolproof guide to start a blog without having to learn any programming language or technical course. So you want to start a blog. That’s great. But before we jump over to Installing Blog Section, Let me teach you some basics because a lot of people don’t even know the terms Blogging and WordPress. So, Let’s get started
- What is Blog and Blogging?
- Benefits of Blogging : Why you Should Start a Blog Right Now?? !!!
- Step 1: Pick the Topic for your New Blog
- Step 2: Choose the Right Blogging Platform
- Step 3: Choosing a Suitable Domain Name and a Reliable Web Host
- Step 4: Setting up Web Host and Getting Started with WordPress
- Step 5: Write your First Blog Post
What is Blog and Blogging?
In simple words, A Blog is a regularly updated website or web page, typically run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style. It is platform or a online journal or you can say a magazine where a writer or a group of writers share their views on an individual subject. A Blog is frequently updated online personal journal or diary. It is a platform to express yourself to the world. A place to share your thoughts and your passions.
Blogging is the process of writing the blog. A person who write blog posts is referred as Blogger.
So What’s Difference between a Blog and Website?
The basic difference between a blog and a website is theoretically the difference in how data is being presented – the format.
A blog is basically a frequently updated web log that a blogger makes use for chronological listing of blog posts. Blog has the most recent content shown first followed by the previously updated content. A blog can be easily started with services like WordPress, Blogger, etc.
|Content is regularly updated||Content is static.|
|Not Much Formal||Formal/Professional|
|Informative and educational||Transactional|
|Blog posts are archived by date, category, author, tags and sub-categories||A services/products page that displays what they have to offer for the visitors|
Who Can Blog?
In short – Anyone. Bloggers are people just like you. For Example – Me writing this blog post to Teach you How to Start a Blog WordPress. You can start a blog on any topic like hair styling tips, up-to-date news, technical courses, job portal, celebrity news, blog on your profession, dating tips. Other Blog Topics can include like cooking, health, gardening, sport, fashion tips, blogging tips (like this blog) and of course many other blogs.
Benefits of Blogging : Why you Should Start a Blog Right Now?? !!!
There are numerous benefits and reasons to make a blog. Few I have listed below:-
- Earn Money working from home or from any place: My Main Source of Income is Blogging Only. I have few other blogs that makes me earn a substantial amount of money and enjoy my financial freedom. Many others do the same. Making money as a blogger is hard work and requires patience and persistent efforts. But it do provides financial stability and comfortable lifestyle in the long run.
- Become a published author. It’s no secret, these days publishers rarely work with authors who don’t have an online identity. The reason is simple: it’s way easier to sell books to audience who already know you because of your online presence. A blog is one of the easiest platform to build your audience and online presence.
- Exposure for your existing business or company. A blog gives anyone, from individuals to large companies, the ability to reach a large number of people across various regions and expanding your presence at very little cost.
- As a Hobby. If you love writing, you can share your story of your activities, encourage others and build a community.
I hope I have made things easy to understand now. If you still have any doubt, you can personally contact me or comment below after the end of this blog post.
As your basics are cleared, lets finally jump towards the 5 Steps Guide on How to Start a Blog under 15 Minutes:-
- Decide your topic on which you will blog about
- Choose the Right Blogging Platform
- Find the Suitable Domain Name and a Good Web Hosting
- Setting up Web Host and Getting Started with WordPress
- Write and Publish your First Blog Post
You will be able to set up your own blog following this exact 5 step guide without any technical experience or professional help. The process is easy to follow whether you are 15 years old or 70 years old. However if you still need our help, our expert team will help you in setting up your first blog for free.
In addition to this, I will Teach you to:
- Register a Domain Name for Free
- Choose the Best Web Hosting
- How to Install WordPress on your Blog
- Basic WordPress Settings
- How to Write Your First Blog Post
Ready? Let’s get started.
Step 1: Pick the Topic for your New Blog
Before installing or setting up a blog, the initial and the most crucial task is to choose a niche (topic) you are about to blog. If you’re part of a business, company or your own profession, your blog should be based on the product(s) or service(s) you provide. If you’re an individual, you have more flexibility and choices deciding a topic. Here are some tips you can use while choosing a topic.
- Start a Blog on something you really enjoy. If you aren’t excited about your topic or lacks interest, you will be unable to continue a long journey. Also, why would readers be interested if you aren’t? So always choose that niche in which you have interest and enjoys writing. Readers will like your work if you will be Real, expressing yourself, your real thoughts, experiences and opinions in the form of blog post.
- Always Blog about something with plenty of room for discussion. A good blog requires a lot of content to get going successfully and remain interesting. So choose that topic in which you will be able to talk a lot with good content that can attract readers.
- Try choosing a topic in which you can establish yourself as an authority. You probably won’t be the first individual to blog about the topic you choose. It’s almost guaranteed somebody else has thought of it before you. So avoid choosing High Competition Keywords or Topics because you won’t be able to compete with already successful blogs run by big companies. But Don’t fear about this, come up with a unique angle.
- Do you have a reasonable chance of making your blog better than others talking about the same thing? If Yes, then nothing to worry about. But if you are a newbie, then you can choose your topic wisely as i said in first two points. You can use free tools like Google Keyword Planner which is a keyword research tool that allows you to find the right keywords in terms of average number of searches per month, keyword difficulty and CPC Rates. Keywords like Software, Real Estate, Health, Insurance, Business etc are high competitive keywords and will be a bit tough task to rank in google search for these keywords. Always try to choose keywords for your topic having low to medium competition with good average monthly searches.
Step 2: Choose the Right Blogging Platform
The Next Main Step after deciding the topic on which you want to blog about is choosing the blogging platform. In simple language, A blogging platform is the software or service that you use to publish your content on the internet in the form of a blog. A blog platform is a specific form of a content management system.
There are many Free Blogging Platforms on Internet with which you can start a blog. Blogspot, Tumblr, Wix, Yola etc are such free blogging platforms where you can just sign in with your Google ID, and you can have a blog up and running in seconds, which can then be customised with new themes.
One of the biggest mistakes I see new bloggers make, is using a free blogging platform when they are just getting started. There are many drawbacks of Free Blogging Platforms which are illustrated below:-
- You don’t have control over your blog content – Because the blogging platform does. They could shut you down anytime, and for any reason. If you still Don’t believe me? Read this.
- The URL (Domain Name) of your blog will be long and hard to remember:- You will get stuck using an ugly domain name (like yourblogname.blogspot.com) instead of a catchy, branded name you choose. A short and unique name should look like yourblogname.com (where yourblogname is the name or Domain of your blog)
- You’re not allowed to advertise on most free blogging platforms, making it even harder to ever earn money online from blogging.
- Limited Resources – You are limited on how many images and videos you can upload or how many people visit your blog per month therefore leaving you with limited resources.
If you are really passionate about learning how to start a blog and make money with it like I do. Then do things the right way the first time. And it only costs just a few dollars to do it the right way – so why take shortcuts?
So Which is the Best Blogging Platform to Start a Blog !!
WordPress is the only go-to platform for bloggers. It’s free and open–source content management system (CMS), easy to use, simple to customise and designed specially for bloggers. Here are few advantages of using WordPress as the Right Blogging Platform in Setting up a New Blog and Making Money Online.
- WordPress is free for anyone to use (You just need a Good Hosting & domain name)
- It’s damn easy to use even if you are non techie or never made a blog before.
- WordPress have over 5,000 free themes for you to make your blog look classy.
- Over 92% of all blogs on Internet are running WordPress, including this one
On choosing WordPress as your Blogging Platform, you come up with 2 options to start a blog: hosted or self-hosted.
- Hosted WordPress blogs, sometimes referred as WordPress.com blogs, are free to use but limit your income potential in the same way as free blogging platforms does.
- Self-hosted WordPress blogs, sometimes referred as WordPress.org blogs, cost a little amount of money but give you overall control, and do not limit your earning potential.
This How to Start a Blog WordPress Tutorial will teach you how to create a self-hosted WordPress blog, the platform preferred by newbie and all the successful bloggers alike.
Note: Even though a self-hosted WordPress blog is sometimes called as “WordPress.org” blog, but you are not limited to .org at the end of your domain name. You can still use .com or any other extension like .net, .in, .co etc just like I did for StudentSutra.com
Step 3: Choosing a Suitable Domain Name and a Reliable Web Host
Finding a perfect domain name and a reliable web host is one of the most crucial steps of starting a blog. If you don’t know what a domain name and web host is, well domain name is the address or URL of your blog – for example the domain name of this blog is – StudentSutra.com. On the other hand, Web hosting is what keeps your blog “online” and stores all of your blogs files, images and content on a server. If you don’t have a web host then no one would be able to visit your blog.
A good web hosting means that your blog or website will be available to every single person across world, every single second of every single day. There are both good and bad hosting companies available over internet & choosing a reliable web host is an important part of starting a blog as the performance of your blog like speed and availability will depend on the reliability of your web host server.
Many cheap web hosting companies overload their servers which means your blog will be slow with poor response time which means it will take longer time for your visitors to load it. You may lose your audience if you go with the bad web host because of the slow response times.
So before we move on to choosing a reliable host lets finish the process of choosing a domain for setting up your new blog in WordPress.
Choose a Domain Name (they’ll give it to you for FREE)
I hope by this time, you have already decided the topic of your new blog till this step as I already gave you an overview with the topics in the above section.
If your are still not sure what to blog about here are a few tips-
- Make a list of 3-5 things you are good at
- Note 3-5 things you are really interested in or passionate about
- Write a list of 3-5 things in which you can spread your knowledge and experience.
That 10 minute exercise will give you sufficient ideas for picking up a topic for new blog.
Once you had chosen a topic for your new blog you need to pick a good domain name related to that topic and check the availability of that domain.
If you are going to start a blog about a particular topic, then you should try to include that into the domain name. Or you could just use your name if you are not able to decide a domain name.
Some Tips on Choosing a Perfect Domain Name
- Find Short, Catchy and Relevant Name
- It must be easy to remember and shareable
- Try not to purchase a domain name with hyphens, since they’re more often associated with spammers.
- Don’t choose a rubbish name, difficult to spell, or a long name full of dashes. “www.best-blogging-tutorials-in-the-world.com” won’t ever stick in someone’s head, but something like “www.bloggingtips.com” rolls off the tongue.
If you had earlier bought a domain name and want to use it for new site, enter it on the right (In the below Given Picture on Bluehost.com). If you don’t have one, enter your desired domain on the left (Assuming you have chosen your domain after checking its availability)
You can also check the Availability of New Domain Name from given below Domain Name Checker Tool:-
Domain extensions like “.com”, “.org” or “.net” are the most popular Domain Extensions, with “.com” being the one most people think of first. Try to avoid absurd extensions like “.rocks” or “.biz”, as these are very less used, tougher to remember and not as trusted.
Special Tip for Getting a Domain Name Free of Cost
Once you have picked and checked the availability of your domain name, Do Not Purchase it First. You just only need to choose your domain name which is available and Sign up Straight for Web Hosting Plan. While choosing your hosting plan, they will ask you to enter your domain name that you want to use it for your new blog. You can either enter previously registered domain (if you already have) or simply fill out the New Domain Name which is available and you chosen earlier. With this, they will not charge you any cost for domain name and will provide you free domain name for 1 year with your new hosting plan. I will show you by the exact screenshots. Lets continue to the next part and you will get whole procedure in Step 4 by the labelled images presented below.
Step 4: Setting up Web Host and Getting Started with WordPress
The only hosting company I recommend for beginners to start a blog is Bluehost because of following reasons:-
In case you don’t know, Bluehost is one of the officially recommended web hosting by WordPress, which is a big deal.
The best thing about Bluehost is that they’ve scaled their server for best performance when running with WordPress. Bluehost will provide you with unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, premium customer support, and everything else you need to set up and run a successful WordPress blog. Recently Bluehost has also incorporated some major improvements in terms of WordPress Management and includes the use of free SSL. At Bluehost, WordPress will be auto installed without any coding or technical knowledge from your side.
They have made WordPress even more secure on their server by including a Free SSL which may otherwise cost around $70 on other hosts. If you are a newbie, skip the SSL Part from your mind, As I do not want to make you feel overwhelmed, especially at the beginning. At start, I will show you setting up a blog and tactics to drive traffic to your WordPress Blog. Because I want you to cover up your money you spent on building up your new blog. In upcoming articles, I will make every guide needed to run a successful blog and earn a decent living out of it. I will also cover a Complete Guide on What is SSL and How to Implement Free SSL on your WordPress Blog.
One More Advantage of Bluehost is that it provides a standard cPanel hosting. This will help you to Install WordPress and Set up your Blog in Just 1 Click.
Setting up your new Blog WordPress
Now maintain your undivided attention for just 5 minutes to start a blog wordpress. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- Sign up for Bluehost (use this link to get a discount and free domain)
- After Following the Above Link, the following Interface will appear, and you need to click on Get Started Now.
- Now Select your Hosting Plan, For Beginners Basic Plan is more than sufficient and Mostly Recommended. Within the Basic option, you can choose to sign up for 12, 24, or 36 months. I’d start off with 12 months.
- Now Enter Your New Domain on Left Side. If You had already purchased a Domain, Then Enter your existing Domain on Right Side
- Now you are prompted to the next page to create account- Enter your basic details like Name. Address, Email and Contact Number.
- Select your package as per your choice – You can un-tick the additional features like Domain Privacy Protection, SiteLock Security – Find, Codeguard Basic, and Bluehost SEO Tools Start as these are not much important and will only adds to bigger payout. So just select your account plan and skip the Add Ons.
- Add Payment Information and Tick the box – I have read and agree to Bluehost terms and Hit Submit Button.
After Sign Up Process:-
Once you hit submit button after adding your account information, you’ll be asked if you want to add any upgrades or special offers. Skip them by clicking the “no thanks” link.
Choose a password
After your purchase is fully complete, they’ll ask to choose a password for your new account. Just click the “Create your password” button to choose a secure password of your choice. This password will allow you to Login to your Bluehost CPanel Account from where you can install WordPress Application with a Single Button Click. I will show you how.
Install WordPress with One Click Installation
1.Log in to your Bluehost cPanel account. Once you logged in, Select CPanel from Top Menu and Find on Website section and select Install WordPress.
2.Click the Install button.
3.Choose your domain name to install it to. Leave the field next to the domain blank if you want the site’s main page to be the blog. Its recommended to Leave it Blank
4. If needed, you can edit the email address, username and password for the new WordPress installation. Click “advanced options” and you can change those settings. (Note downthe your Username and Password Since you will need it later to Login to your New WordPress Blog)
5. Read through the license and service agreements and check the boxes.
6. Select the Install Now button.
That’s It !!! Your Brand New WordPress Blog is Up and Running
Step 5: Write your First Blog Post
At this stage, you should now have a Empty WordPress site installed, along with your admin access username and password you noted down in the above step.
To Login to your New WordPress Blog, Start by typing in your new web address (www.YourNewBlog.com) to see what your WordPress blog looks like. Here’s what you’ll probably see:
Next, log in to your WordPress Blog admin panel by going to an address like: http://YourNewBlog.com/wp-admin. You can also login with http://YourNewBlog.com/login.php. (You’ll use the same username and password you chose earlier during the one click installation setup.)
After logging in, you’ll see the welcome page (Dashboard) of the admin panel. It should be fairly intuitive after browsing for few minutes, with all of your major options indicated in sidebar panel.
You should get familiar with the interface and items of the WordPress admin menu. It’s pretty simple. Here are the various admin menu items:
- Dashboard – This is the page you see right after logging in to your WordPress Blog
- Posts – Here you can write and publish new blog posts and view and update old ones by editing them.
- Media – This is your media library with all the images, PDFs, videos, etc. you’ve uploaded. You can upload new stuff from this section and also while writing a new blog post by choosing Add Media
- Pages – Here you can write and publish new pages and view and edit old ones.
- Comments – Everything related to comments. You can get familiar with this when you’ve published your first post and readers leave the first comments.
- Appearance – Here you can change what your blog looks like. You an change your theme, add widgets from this section to make your blog look like exactly you want.
- Plugins – Here you can add and remove plugins, which add functionality to your blog.
- Users – If you want someone to work with you, you can add them as users here, and assign their roles.
- Settings – Here you can edit your blog’s settings. We’ll look at the essential settings later.
Ready to Publish your First Blog Post in WordPress !!!
Okay, now you should be all set up with WordPress. So, now for the fun part – it’s time to create your first blog post on your new blog. Its way easier than you are thinking
Go back to your WordPress admin panel (http://your_domain.com/wp-admin/). Then head on to “Posts » Add New” (or “Pages » Add New) from the left sidebar.
You’ll see a very friendly editor that will remind you of MS Word of Windows or Pages on Mac. WP Editor include all the Settings like Headings, Font Style, Colour, Adding Media like Images or Videos etc. I will still give you a basic overview on How to Write a Blog Post in WordPress
- Title Area: This is the area where you will write the title of your post.
- Content Area: This is the area where the body text of your post goes. The whole area works just like text editing in Word or Pages. You can also add images and other media to your post by clicking the “Add Media” button.
- Standard Editing Tools: Here are options like bold, italic, lists, paragraphs, and headlines.
- Publishing Tools: After writing your first blog post, Click on “Publish” button. You can also set a publication date to schedule your post in the future or save the post as a draft for more editing. Once Published, your post will be live on your blog and you are ready to share it on your social media platforms to reach audience.
- Additional Tools: Update your blog post and categorize it.
Now Is’t it seemed easy to Start a Blog. That’s It for Today!!! Hope I have explained everything in detail on How to Start a Blog in WordPress. If however you are still stuck or encountered something unexpected during setup, contact Bluehost technical support. They have access to your account (which I don’t have) and they will sort out your problem. You can also contact me for I will set up everything right without any fee or charges (Specially for Student Sutra Users)
The next Step is Action from your side to start a blog and make money. Things are Pretty Easy. You just need a Proper Start and Right Mind Set. So set up your mind right now and build your first blog today using this simple guide. I will cover more tutorials on WordPress, its Essential Settings, Building Audience and Earning Money like a Boss. So stay in touch with us. Do share this post if you liked it and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to get newsletter and upcoming exciting stuff. Thanks for being a part of Student Sutra.
New to Student Sutra – Start Here